Our Student Box Storage is designed to make storing your items easy while you are away from university between 1st March and 30th September. We supply the boxes, all you need to do is fill them and we do the rest! We can also store suitcases, bikes and almost any item.
Below are the common questions we get asked about Student Summer Box Storage.
We are social distancing under Covid-19 restrictions and have put strict measures in place to make sure that you are safe and secure when you visit our Layerthorpe facility.
How much does it cost?
Easter & Summer Storage
- Our boxes cost £40.00 each which includes storage from 1st April to 30th September (28 weeks). We can also store your bikes, suitcases and almost any item. Each item costs £40.00 to store.
- Our boxes cost £25.00 each which includes storage from 1st June to 30th September (18 weeks). We can also store your bikes, suitcases and almost any item. Each item costs £25.00 to store.
Where can I collect boxes?
- You can collect your flat packed boxes from Inner Space Stations Self Storage, 56 Layerthorpe, York, YO31 7YW. We are open Monday to Saturday 9.00am – 5.00pm and Sunday 9.00am to 1.00 pm.
- While we are social distancing under Covid-19 restrictions, you will need to contact us on 01904 21 77 77 to pay by card and arrange a date and time so you can safely collect them from Layerthorpe.
How long can I store for?
- Inner Space Stations will store your belongings until 30th September. If you need to keep your items in storage after this date there is a small charge of £1.50 per item per week.
What if I only need storage for a few weeks?
- If you are between accommodation leases and need somewhere to keep your belongings until you move to your new address, we have another option for short term storage.
- Please call our Layerthorpe facility on 01904 217777 for more information and to reserve your space.
How big are the boxes?
- Cardboard boxes are approx L45cm x W45cm x H52cm.
Is there any limit to how much I can store?
- No, you can store as many boxes, etc. as you would like.
Is there a weight limit for boxes and suitcases?
- Yes, the weight limit for boxes and suitcases is 20 kg maximum. All items will be weighed and if they exceed 20 kg you will be asked to buy additional boxes. When packing the boxes, we recommend that you distribute the heavier items so the weight is shared and the boxes don’t exceed the 20 kg limit.
Can I use my own boxes?
- No, I’m afraid we can only accept boxes supplied by Inner Space Stations storage.
Can I store my suitcases?
- Yes, we will store your suitcases, but they must be in good working order with no broken zips or wheels. These must be clearly labelled with surname, email address and contact number. An Inner Space Stations numbered sticker will be attached to each suitcase for identification purposes. Again, there is a maximum weight limit of 20 kgs per suitcase.
Can I store my bicycle?
- Yes, however you must deliver your bike to Layerthorpe yourself.
I have large items, can I store them?
- We may be able to accept other items and we have a maximum weight limit of 20 kg per item. They must be clearly labelled with your surname, email address and contact number. Please contact Inner Space Stations to check that your item can be stored.
I have a plastic box from a previous year can I use that?
- Yes, as long as it is still labelled with our Inner Space Stations sticker and in good condition then you can re-use it. We will charge you only £25.00 for the storage. Deposits from previous years are not refundable and there is a maximum weight limit of 20 kg.
Is there anything I can’t store?
- You can store most things however you CANNOT store Perishables, Foods, Flammable Liquids, Combustible Materials, Liquid Make-up, Liquids.
Do you collect from my accommodation?
- Yes, we can collect your items from your accommodation on an agreed date and time. There is a charge of £20.00 for this service. Please contact Inner Space Stations Ltd to arrange.
Can I take my items to Inner Space Stations myself?
- Yes, you can bring your items to Layerthorpe yourself. Many students use a local taxi service to transport their items.
- Due to the current Covid-19 restrictions and social distancing measures in place you MUST call Layerthorpe on 01904 21 77 77 to arrange an agreed date and time before your bring your items. If you arrive without an appointment we cannot guarantee that we are able to accept your items. We are open Monday to Saturday 9.00am – 5.00pm and Sunday 9.00am to 1.00 pm.
Can you drop off my items at my accommodation when I return?
- Yes, your items can be delivered to your accommodation on a mutually agreed date and time. There is a delivery charge of £20.00 for this service. Please contact Inner Space Stations Ltd to arrange.
I’m coming back to a different college/address does this matter?
- No, your items can be delivered to any address in York.
Can I collect my boxes/items myself when I return?
- Yes. You must contact Inner Space Stations directly to arrange the collection of your storage boxes from the Layerthorpe facility. You must advise Inner Space Stations of your collection date at least one week in advance.
What do I do if I need to change my collection date?
- As the boxes are stored in respect of collection dates it is important that we know when you are returning. Please email : firstname.lastname@example.org call 01904 21 77 77 to confirm the date you wish to collect your storage on.
Where are my things stored?
- Your belongings will be stored by Inner Space Stations in one of our secure storage locations which is covered by 24 hour CCTV.
Are my things insured?
- Yes, each box/item is insured up to the value of £250. There is an excess of £25.
Do you offer a refund?
- No, unfortunately we cannot refund surplus boxes purchased so please try to make sure you only buy the number of boxes you need. You can buy more boxes if you need them.
Can I get a friend to drop off my things?
- During the Covid-19 restrictions you are able to ask a friend to drop off your items but you will be responsible if there are any problems.
What do I write on the cardboard boxes?
- You must write your surname, email address and contact number on the side of all your cardboard boxes.
How do I make my boxes secure?
- Cardboard boxes should be secured using the parcel tape you were given with your pack.
- Plastic boxes are secured with a security seal.
What happens if my items are damaged?
- Please contact Inner Space Stations Ltd Storage. Please note there is a £25 excess on the insurance.